Manuscript Writing Service
International Journal of Orthopaedics Sciences
  • Printed Journal
  • Indexed Journal
  • Refereed Journal
  • Peer Reviewed Journal

International Journal of Orthopaedics Sciences

2017, Volume 3 Issue 4

Analysis of outcome of unstable intertrochanteric fractures treated by proximal femoral nail- A prospective and retrospective study

Author(s): Dr. Madhuchandra P and Dr. Shrinidhi IS
Abstract: Background: An analytical study was conducted on the outcome of unstable Intertrochanteric fractures treated by conventional proximal femoral nailing in a prospective and retrospective method.
Materials and methods: During our study period, 130 patients, both males and females, aged between 50 years and 100 years who were suffering from unstable intertrochanteric fracture and who were treated with Proximal femoral Nailing were included in the study. Both prospective and retrospective studies were conducted to evaluate clinical and functional outcome of 130 patients. Modified Harris Hip score was used to evaluate clinical and functional outcome. Radiological assessment with hip anteroposterior and lateral views were taken.quality of reduction, malialignments, screw cut outs, bony union and implant related complications were noted.
Results: In our study majority of the cases about 60% were in the age group of 61 to 80 years among the study group of 50 to 100 years. Females were slightly more affected (52.35%) as compared to males (47.65%).Average time for radiological union was about 16 weeks. Among 130 of our patients 1 cased died on 3rd posteoperative day for reason unrelated to the surgery. So Harris Hip Score was calculated for 129 patients. We had 53.9% of excellent and 36.1% of good results which together accounted to about 90% of the cases
Conclusion: Based on our experience and results we conclude that proximal femoral nailing is an excellent judicious and rational method of fixation for unstable intertrochanteric fractures in elderly patients.
Pages: 556-561  |  669 Views  16 Downloads
How to cite this article:
Dr. Madhuchandra P, Dr. Shrinidhi IS. Analysis of outcome of unstable intertrochanteric fractures treated by proximal femoral nail- A prospective and retrospective study. Int J Orthop Sci 2017;3(4):556-561. DOI: 10.22271/ortho.2017.v3.i4h.77
International Journal of Orthopaedics Sciences