International Journal of Orthopaedics Sciences

International Journal of Orthopaedics Sciences

2021, Volume 7 Issue 2

Minimally invasive plate osteosynthesis for humerus diaphyseal fractures: A retrospective study

Author(s): Jagdeep Singh, Sorabh Garg, Anoop Kalia, Karan Rajpal, Swarnesh Baskaran and Amit Sharma
Abstract: 
Introduction: Several authors have reported anterior bridge plating of humerus as an acceptable and satisfactory procedure for treatment for humerus shaft fractures.
We evaluated the clinical, radiological and functional outcome of such fractures over a period of follow up of 12 months treated by MIPO technique.
Materials and Methods: Twenty patients presenting to author institute on follow up with humerus shaft fractures treated with anterior bridge plating using MIPO technique between January 2015 – December 2018. In all cases 4.5 mm dynamic compression plate (DCP) was used. The surgery time, radiation exposure and time for union was noted using hospital records. The shoulder and elbow function was assessed using UCLA (The University Of California At Los Angeles)shoulder and Mayo elbow performance score respectively.
Results: Out of the 20 patients, 14 were male and 6 females. The mean age was 38.2 years (range 20 to 68).14 out of 20 patients (70%) had dominant side fractured.
Mean surgical time was 82.7 minutes (range 60-120 minutes). Mean radiation exposure counted as one second for C- arm exposure was 112 seconds (80-170). The mean time for union was 13.4 weeks (range10 -20 weeks). Shoulder function was excellent in 17 patients (85%) and good in remaining 3 patients (15%) according to the UCLA score.elbow function was excellent in 15 cases (75%) and good in 5 cases (25%).
Conclusion: Anterior bridge plating ofhumerusis an effective treatment for humerus shaft fractures and as the surgeon keep on gaining experience in this technique, it becomes less time consuming.
Pages: 115-120  |  43 Views  5 Downloads
How to cite this article:
Jagdeep Singh, Sorabh Garg, Anoop Kalia, Karan Rajpal, Swarnesh Baskaran, Amit Sharma. Minimally invasive plate osteosynthesis for humerus diaphyseal fractures: A retrospective study. Int J Orthop Sci 2021;7(2):115-120. DOI: 10.22271/ortho.2021.v7.i2b.2621
International Journal of Orthopaedics Sciences