International Journal of Orthopaedics Sciences
  • Printed Journal
  • Indexed Journal
  • Refereed Journal
  • Peer Reviewed Journal

International Journal of Orthopaedics Sciences

2019, Volume 5 Issue 4

Fat embolism syndrome: Case study of a Clinical conundrum

Author(s): Dr. K Thanigaimani, Dr. Gurumoorthy M and Dr. Yogesh TC
Abstract: The effect of recent advances in critical care and the emphasis on current practice in early diagnosis in patient with fat embolism syndrome by conducting 2 year review of experiences at our trauma centre.18 patients with clinically apparent fat embolism syndrome were identified. The diagnosis of FES was made by clinical criteria including hypoxia (18 patients 100%), mental status changes (13 patients 72%), high temperature (13 patients 72%), tachycardia (18 patients 100%), thrombocytopenia (10 patients 55%).10 patients (55%) had multiple long bone fractures and 8 patients (45%) had single long bone fractures. 6 patients (33%) had open fractures remaining 12 patients (67%) had closed fractures. Manage the patients for early operative fixation was emphasized. There were 7 deaths with mortality of 39%. Conclusion: The fat embolism syndrome remains a diagnosis of exclusion and is based on clinical criteria. Clinically apparent FES is unusual but may be masked by associated injuries in more Severely injured patients. No association could be identified between FES and a specific fracture pattern or location. While FES seems to have a direct effect on survival, the management of FES remains primarily supportive and early operative stabilization should be done to reduce the mortality and morbidity.
Pages: 39-42  |  13 Views  1 Downloads
How to cite this article:
Dr. K Thanigaimani, Dr. Gurumoorthy M and Dr. Yogesh TC. Fat embolism syndrome: Case study of a Clinical conundrum. International Journal of Orthopaedics Sciences. 2019; 5(4): 39-42. DOI: 10.22271/ortho.2019.v5.i4a.1645