Manuscript Writing Service
International Journal of Orthopaedics Sciences
  • Printed Journal
  • Indexed Journal
  • Refereed Journal
  • Peer Reviewed Journal

International Journal of Orthopaedics Sciences

2017, Volume 3 Issue 4

Evaluation of surgical fixation of paediatric diaphyseal long bone fractures in lower limb with elastic stable intramedullary nailing (Esin)

Author(s): Dr. Kamal Kumar Arora, Dr. Simranjit Singh, Dr. Priti Chaudhary, Dr. Rajesh Kapila, Dr. Rajan Sharma and Dr. Manjinder Singh
Abstract: Femoral shaft fractures account for 1.6% of all paediatric injuries. The best treatment for children between five to sixteen years of age is still questioned. patients in this transitional age group have high risk of shortening and mal union when conservative measures are used Fixation with flexible intramedullary nails have become a trendy technique, for stabilizing femoral fractures in school aged children. The present study consisted of 25 cases with diaphyseal lower limb fractures of either gender within age group 5-16 years, admitted in Orthopaedics Department of a tertiary care hospital of Punjab and were treated with elastic stable intramedullary nail. RTA accounted for 92% cases. Isolated femur fracture was seen in 40% cases. 8% cases also had ipsilateral tibial fracture with it & 52% had only tibial shaft fractures. Transverse fracture was observed in 56% cases. All cases were fixed with elastic titanium nail. Minor complications, as per Flynn’s criteria were seen in 12% cases. No case developed any major complication. Excellent results were obtained in 76% cases and satisfactory results were obtained in the remaining 24% cases.
Pages: 501-504  |  587 Views  12 Downloads
How to cite this article:
Dr. Kamal Kumar Arora, Dr. Simranjit Singh, Dr. Priti Chaudhary, Dr. Rajesh Kapila, Dr. Rajan Sharma and Dr. Manjinder Singh. Evaluation of surgical fixation of paediatric diaphyseal long bone fractures in lower limb with elastic stable intramedullary nailing (Esin). International Journal of Orthopaedics Sciences. 2017; 3(4): 501-504. DOI: 10.22271/ortho.2017.v3.i4g.69
International Journal of Orthopaedics Sciences