Manuscript Writing Service
International Journal of Orthopaedics Sciences
  • Printed Journal
  • Indexed Journal
  • Refereed Journal
  • Peer Reviewed Journal

International Journal of Orthopaedics Sciences

2017, Volume 3 Issue 3

Role of low molecular weight heparin in preventing deep vein thrombosis in elderly patients with hip fracture

Author(s): Shreeharsha Patil and Prashant Bhavani
Abstract: Background: Deep vein thrombosis is one of the most prevalent medical problems today, with an annual incidence of 80 cases per 100,000. Lower-extremity DVT is the most common venous thrombosis, with a prevalence of 1 case per 1000 population
Objective: To study the role of low molecular weight heparin i.e. injection enoxaparin in preventing deep vein thrombosis in elderly hip fracture patients.
Methodology: The present study was conducted in department of orthopedics, yashoda super speciality hospital, malakpet, Hyderabad. Forty elderly Patients of hip fracture presenting to outpatient department and emergency department of orthopedics during the period from May 2010 to august 2011 was included in this study.
Results: Out of 40 patients 23 (57.5%) had fracture neck femur and 17(42.5%) intertrochanteric fracture. The incidence of DVT in hip fracture patients with thromboprophylaxis by this study is 20%, of which 6(26.08%) patients had fracture neck femur and 2(11.76%) had intertrochanteric fracture. 1 patient had wound hematoma and 1 patient had minor wound bleeding. only 2(25%) out of 8 patients was symptomatic (leg pain, oedema) and remaining 6(75%) were asymptomatic.
Conclusion: Low molecular weight Heparin drugs are better in preventing deep vein thrombosis with very less complications.
Pages: 585-587  |  707 Views  14 Downloads
How to cite this article:
Shreeharsha Patil and Prashant Bhavani. Role of low molecular weight heparin in preventing deep vein thrombosis in elderly patients with hip fracture. International Journal of Orthopaedics Sciences. 2017; 3(3): 585-587. DOI: 10.22271/ortho.2017.v3.i3i.92
International Journal of Orthopaedics Sciences