Manuscript Writing Service
International Journal of Orthopaedics Sciences
  • Printed Journal
  • Indexed Journal
  • Refereed Journal
  • Peer Reviewed Journal

International Journal of Orthopaedics Sciences

2016, Volume 2 Issue 4

Evaluation of the results of locking compression plate in the treatment of fractures lower end of femur

Author(s): Dr. Pramod G and Dr. Vijayakumar AV
Abstract: Elderly patients with severe osteoporosis add further to the difficulties in management of fractures around knee which requires restoration of articular congruency for painless free movements of joint. Loss of stable fixation in osteoporotic bones is of great concern in such elderly patients. Locking compression plates with its numerous advantages is of great use in such circumstances. In this study 20 patients with both open and closed fracture of distal femur were studied. All the cases were treated from 1st November 2012 to September 30th 2014 under the Department of Orthopaedics. In our study of 20 patients belonging to AO type A and C of distal femur fractures, four patients belonged to A2, five patients to A3, one to C1, five to C2 and five to C3 type fractures respectively. Majority of fractures belonged to type C fracture which was 55% and remaining 45% belonged to type A fractures. This indicates that type C fractures occur more commonly than type A. From our study we conclude that DF-LCP, the “internal fixator” is a safe and reliable implant although careful preoperative planning and case selection are important factors which determine the final outcome.
Pages: 150-153  |  991 Views  21 Downloads
How to cite this article:
Dr. Pramod G and Dr. Vijayakumar AV. Evaluation of the results of locking compression plate in the treatment of fractures lower end of femur. International Journal of Orthopaedics Sciences. 2016; 2(4): 150-153. DOI: 10.22271/ortho.2016.v2.i4c.25
International Journal of Orthopaedics Sciences