International Journal of Orthopaedics Sciences
  • Printed Journal
  • Indexed Journal
  • Refereed Journal
  • Peer Reviewed Journal

International Journal of Orthopaedics Sciences

2016, Volume 2 Issue 3

Minimally invasive percutaneous plate osteosynthesis by anterior approach for fracture shaft of humerus

Author(s): Dr. Deepak S, Dr. Lokesh Holagundi, Dr. Dayanand, Dr. Padmanabha and Dr. Murulidharan N
Abstract: Background: Minimally invasive plate osteosynthesis (MIPO) technique is one of the many options for the fixation of diaphyseal fractures of the shaft of humerus using the anterior approach. We evaluated the clinical, radiographic, and functional outcome over a minimum follow-up of 18 months using the MIPO technique to fracture shaft of humerus.
Materials and Methods: Our study included 30 adult patients with diaphyseal fractures of the humerus treated with MIPPO technique between October 2013 and May 2015. Exclusion criteria included pregnancy, open fractures, pathological fractures, fractures older than 3 weeks. Locking plate fixation was done using the MIPO technique in all cases after closed indirect reduction. Callus formation at the fracture site radiologically, and alleviation of pain on movement were the criteria for union. We assessed shoulder function using UCLA shoulder score and elbow function using Mayo elbow performance scores, respectively.
Results: The study consisted of 24 males and 6 females. The mean age was 44years(range: 18-60 years).Fourteen of the 30 patients (46.7%) had the right side fractures and 2 were 12A1,8 were12A2,6 were12A3,8 were12B2,2 were12B3 and 4 were12C2 fractures based on AO classification. The mean radiological fracture union time was 12.87 weeks (range: 12-18 weeks). Shoulder function was excellent in 26 cases (86.67%) and good in remaining 4 cases (13.33%) based on the UCLA score. Elbow function was excellent in 24 cases (80%), good in 6 cases (20%) as determined by MEPI score.
Conclusion: MIPPO of the humerus is a good management option in the treatment of diaphyseal fractures.
Pages: 22-26  |  794 Views  23 Downloads
How to cite this article:
Dr. Deepak S, Dr. Lokesh Holagundi, Dr. Dayanand, Dr. Padmanabha and Dr. Murulidharan N. Minimally invasive percutaneous plate osteosynthesis by anterior approach for fracture shaft of humerus. 2016; 2(3): 22-26.